I kind of feel guilty saying this, but it needs to be said. One of the good things that I liked this week was that the kids were sick and wanted to snuggle more than they wanted to make messes and get into things. It was kind of nice to see them just lay there. Sorry I am a horrible person, but it was a little nice. Mainly it was nice because for a couple of days all I could do was just lay there most of the day too.
But after wiping noses 976 times, being showered by 5, 381 sneezes and hearing 26,782 coughs, it got a little tiresome (not to mention the numerous "reminders" to COVER YOUR MOUTH). I am sorry to say that I did not have very much patience left by yesterday morning. We were actually supposed to go to Provo today to support Tyler (Bart's cousin) going through the temple, but we ended up just sending Bart as our representative. Last night I announced to Bart that we were all going no matter if we were sick or not, we needed to get out of this house so I didn't strangle one of the children. Then this morning I think Bart was having second thoughts about going because he was afraid to leave me alone with the kids again because he might come home to one or two less than what he left me with.
Well seeing Bart struggle with his decision this morning made me think a little and realize that even though I am a little sleep deprived (understatement of the year), the kids are probably feeling the same way I am. In fact they are probably silently pleading their dad, "please don't leave us with this psychotic woman again". Anyway, I was just thinking that when I am up with the kids I need to remember that they are awake and missing out on sleep too. I also need to remember that when one doesn't let me go to bed until 1:30 in the morning and another one makes me get up at 4:00 for the day, it doesn't mean that they are ganging up on me and trying to make me get more gray hairs.
After I had this epiphany I decided that I needed to change ME in order to set the mood for the rest of them. I have to say I am still trying to be patient (even when McKinley washes her hair in the bathroom sink with 1/2 the bottle of shampoo - spilling 1/3 of it on the counter). But this made me think about the kids and their feelings a little. I know this week I have been a little testy when any of them asked me for anything like when Grant asked for the 14th time to type on the computer and when Jackie asked for her 8th cup of milk. Anyway, I decided to take time to play with them. So I gathered up Luke and we went into McKinley and Jackie's room, sat crossed legged on the floor, and had brunch. We ate eggs, hotdogs, hot chocolate, milk (which Luke kept spilling on me - I now know why sippy cups were invented - even though we were just pretending), turkey, grapes, secret ingredient soup and 3 different kinds of pie. It really helped me to remember that they are just kids and that I need to chill myself out and stop adding my temper tantrums to the mix.
I know that having herbal tea isn't going magically make me have more patience, but it helped me to have a better perspective on the things that are important to me - my kiddos and their feelings. Sorry guys!




oh wendy...you are the best mom i know. seriously...you are!
ReplyDeleteBeing sick is no fun at all, and having a house full of sick ones I'm sure is down right UGGGG.. You're awesome, I love your crown idea and am so glad its working!
ReplyDeleteOh--don't we all feel like that a lot of the time!! I am sure you are doing a wonderful job. We were sick for a month (Ian and me included). It was REALLY bad--so I know exactly how you feel. Good for you for playing with them and trying to get perspective. You are awesome.
ReplyDelete