Well the other day I saw an idea for a family home evening on reverence that I thought would help us with reverence during our prayers. And since our kids are suckers for playing dress up I just knew it would work (at least I hoped it would). Anyway, I made a reverence crown and wrote "King of Me" on one side and "Queen of Me" on the other. This is to show that they have control over themselves and are the only ones who can make themselves be reverent. Then whoever is the most reverent during the prayer gets to wear the crown during that meal.
When I was cutting the crown out of the posterboard, I asked Bart what he thought about it and he said it was kind of cheesy. UUHH!!! What support! :) Well the next morning at breakfast it was decided that I was BRILLIANT!!!! In fact it has helped us so much that sometimes I "forget" to give the crown and they forget too so they are reverent just for being reverent. AAAAHHHHH Nice!!!! Jackie usually only gets it when she is saying the prayer because she is the "but I want to, but I want to" girl. But one day she will get there. This morning we even let Luke wear it. He sure looked Kingly!! :)
I also have to point out that you can be stripped of your title as king or queen by not being reverent while you are wearing the crown, hereby renouncing the thrown to the next reverent subject.
Brilliant - I know!




brilliant...brilliant...brilliant! (except my kids would fight over the crown all through dinner i think! ;)
ReplyDelete