Now, looking back, I can tell what I was doing wrong. I have just started my third trimester of my fourth pregnancy and I have all of a sudden been blessed with a boost of energy. During this horrendous week of trial, I rearranged and reorganized Grants bedroom and my bedroom, my house has been freakishly clean (for me) and I didn't give my kids the attention that they needed. In this book, the author is quoting an essay by someone that talks about a picture that she ran across while cleaning one day. The picture was of her kids sitting on a blanket in the shadow of the swing set. This woman said something that made me stop to think. She said, "I wish I could remember what we ate for lunch that day or what we talked about. - I wish I would have lived in the moment more."
So for the last week and a half I have been trying to live in the moment more with my kids. What a difference it makes, not only with them, but for me. I have been able to use my imagination and pretend again. I still have kept the house clean somehow, but I have also played with them and taken time to take a picture or two of them playing well together. It has been a wonderful thing to get to know their little quirks more and to just be carefree like they are.
There was a chapter that I read this morning that the author talked about how she idolized moms that she categorizes as "Library Moms". These are the moms who take their kids to the library, and to story hour and "speak to their kids in hushed tones". Their kids have clean faces and perfectly combed hair, etc. She goes on to say that she is usually the exact opposite of the typical "Library Mom" - she is the one that is racing through the library trying to keep up with her kids with a baby on one hip and a stack of books on the other. While trying to get her kids to stop yelling with excitement about the book that they have picked out. This made me chuckle, because this is how I feel a lot of the time. In fact it wasn't too long ago that I was out running errands and was trying to get home for lunch, when McKinley (whose hair was neatly done), decided to pull her hair out and look scary. So we had to add one more errand to our list and stop by the house to get a spray bottle and a comb to re-do her hair before I went to another store.
Anyway, this has been fun to be reminded of the work moms do for their families. And to remember and be thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mom. I love being a mom more than anything in the world, and love each of my kids individuality and spunky little quirks. Even after a long trying day or week, just to hear the words "I love you too mom." makes it all worth it. Just to have 30 minutes of listening to all three of my kids or even just Grant and McKinley playing and imagining together, makes all the arguments and complaining about dinner or breakfast seem like nothing. I know that I am not a "Library Mom" no matter how hard I try I probably will never be one, but like this author said, I am trying to "become my own kind of "best mom".
| Grandpa Wally gave us his trampoline and Jackie is still getting used to it. She has graduated from just jumping one foot at a time to both feet and she is starting to get pretty high. |
| "Ring around the rosy . . . " |
| "Pocket full of posy . . . " |
| "Ashes, ashes, only one falls down?" |




You're so insightful... I think I'm doing a good job if I haven't yelled or spanked anyone before noon. Thanks for always looking at things in such a way that helps me want to be a better mom and person. You help me remember what the big picture is and to stop and smell the roses. Love you!
ReplyDeleteso...i'm totally crying reading your post. (no...i'm not pregnant! haha) just had a LONG week and you have a way with words. thanks! we need to get together....i'm serious! ;)
ReplyDeleteI loved that...thats all we can be right? Our own best kind of mom, and thats what our kids need or we they wouldn't have been sent to us ;) I think your one of the best moms out there and am so grateful for your example to me. Can't wait till I can come jump on the tramp, I'll try not to destroy it.
ReplyDelete