Sunday, March 4, 2012

Memories - Part 1


In Young Women's today our lesson was on "Honoring your Parents" and it kind of made me cry. (Just side note - (I don't think have shared this yet) - I was put in as our Young Women's President about a month before I had Quinn. Crazy - yes! Stressful - yes! Fun - yes! Inadequate - DEFINITELY!!) Anyway, back to our lesson.

During the lesson, we were given a little questionnaire about our parents. It was titled, "What do you know about your Mother? / What do you know about your Father?". Well I was just reading some of the questions, 1. Maiden Name, 2. Birthplace, 3. Was she raised by her parents?, etc. Then I got to some that I couldn't answer, 13. What are her most memorable school experiences?, 14. What kind of work did she do before her marriage?. I remember hearing stories about some of these things, but I couldn't for the life of me remember any of them. At the end of the questionnaire I got to this, 18. What hardships has she overcome?, 20. What does she enjoy doing in her spare time? The way these were put stuck in my mind, they didn't refer to her as past tense, and it made me think of what she is doing right now. What does she enjoy doing in her spare time?

I know that my Mom is waiting and working in Heaven. I also know a lot of times I wish she was here. I have given birth to five beautiful children and not had her there to give me some motherly advice. I have experienced some of the best times of my life since I became a mom and I haven't been able to share that with her. I know I took a lot of things for granted when she was alive and I really regret that. I wish I could have just one day to sit with her and talk about all the things I want to know about her and about her roll as a mother. I also know that that day would not be near enough because I would also want her to know my joys about being a mom and to know each of my children. To say that she would have loved to spoil them to death is an understatement. I would love to hear her say she was proud of me, but somehow I think I know she is. At least I like to think that. :) Only two more years and I will have lived just as long without her as I did with her. That kind of scares me. I worry that I will forget things!! Which brings me to the real point of this entry. (Sorry - I went off on a little tangent there.) During our lesson today I thought to myself, "I need to write down stuff like this for my kids so that they can know me and my grandkids can know me after I am gone".

For one of our read-alouds for school we just finished "In My Grandma's Attic". It is a book that someone wrote all the stories that their Grandma told them about when she was little and published them. Since reading this McKinley keeps asking me about things I did when I was a little girl. Even Jackie asked me yesterday if I was ever 6 years old and what did I do when I was 6. So I am going to try to write some stories about myself and my life for them. However, I will have to do it later this week because it is getting late and I need to get to bed. I think I will start just by answering the questions on the questionnaire.

1. Maiden name - Wendy Graves
2. Birthplace - SLC
3. Was I raised by my parents - yes.
4. Number of my brothers and sisters - two sisters.
5. My place in the family (oldest, youngest, etc) - youngest.
6. Occupation of her father - Construction Worker.
7. Did they have financial security? No, Dad worked hard to get us what we had, which wasn't much but it was enough. Mom worked most of the time too probably until I was in High School.
8. Religious affiliation of my family - I was raised LDS, but Mom and Dad were never active. Dad would go to church when someone was blessed or baptized and he would go to our Young Women's Programs and Daddy Daughter dates. Mom would go when she had a calling in Primary or Young Women's.

Well, that is enough for tonight. I will answer more this week sometime.


2 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing your personal history! One of the reasons why I started blogging is because I read somewhere that it would be nice if our personal histories could be enjoyable and enlightening for our posterity to read. Lately I feel I've run out of life stories to write (about my childhood), but now I'm thinking I should start digging into my journals and see what I have missed. Thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is proud of you Wendy!! Any mom would be proud of you if you were their daughter. You look a lot like her. What a great goal to answer questions about your mom and write your own history--love it!

    ReplyDelete